Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Series

So I've had a fair amount of experience tie dying in the last few months. A few things I've learned:
1. Saturate, saturate, saturate. Don't skimp on the dye, really.
2. Pinks and reds will run. This includes fuchsia. Never underestimate the ability of one accidental drop to screw up an entire shirt. Seriously, it's happened more than once.
3. Pay attention, go slow and make even strokes with your dye bottles.
4. Zip ties work much better than rubber bands. Be very careful when cutting them off, especially when working with thinner cotton like jersey. I have screwed up an otherwise lovely shirt by poking a hole while cutting off the zip tie.
5. Pick a color scheme and do more than one shirt, in various patterns.

With that being said, I did a series of shirts last night with the same three colors. I thought this might be a cool idea for family photos, twins, best friends, etc. So here's my first series:


The first two are girls tanks, size small.














 





This one is a Mossimo Womens Large. The shirt below is a Youth XSmall.

1 comment: